M40 WaterMain – Water Main & Pipeline Replacement
Melbourne Water is planning renewal works on two sections of the M40 water main and its pipeline connection to the Preston Reservoirs. These assets are almost 100 years old and are at the end of their service life. All other original sections of this water main have been replaced.
The M40 Preston Reservoir to Merri Creek Water Main Renewal Project involves:
- Replacing the last two sections of the original M40 pipeline from the Preston Reservoirs to Regent Street, Reservoir (800m) and from Oakover Road, Preston to Arthurton Road, Northcote (1900m)
- Replacing the pipeline that connects the reservoirs to the M40 pipeline (400m)
While the works were underway, Melbourne Water Needed to maintain access for all users inclusive of:
- Yarra Trams – Tram Route 11 is a major transport corridor to Epping and the northern suburbs
- VicRoads – St Georges Road carriageway.
- Darebin City Council – Shared pathways for pedestrians and cyclists.
All the while maintaining supplies to its retails customers, Yarra Water and City West Water.
CDR Geotech were engaged by Quinn Civil to complete the initial bedding trials for the pipe installation processes followed by the ongoing testing of the Bedding/Haunch/Overlay layers along the length of the works.
Duration = Late 2016 – late 2017